Monday, May 6, 2013

16 Months!

At 16 months, you are talking like crazy and making us laugh every chance you can.  You like to put a bucket on your head and run around - you think it's hilarious (and so do we).  You have an infectious laugh that we cannot get enough of.
 

New words for you are baby, thank you (sounds like tank tu), I did it (sounds like I dee dee), and pretty.  The first time I heard you say pretty made my heart melt...I was changing your diaper and you reached up and touched the scarf I was wearing and said "pretty".  You understand many more words and Daddy and I have started having to spell certain things when we're around you so you don't know what we're saying...specifically, Elmo, out, go, and bye because you LOVE to watch Elmo movies and you LOVE to go outside and go bye bye.

You LOVE to try to talk like Cookie Monster.  Daddy often talks to you like Cookie Monster, so as soon as you see Cookie Monster in one of your books or toys, you start talking all garbled like Cookie Monster.  I've been trying to get it on video, but you always stop as soon as the camera comes out.

You have been teething a lot this past month and now have 2 of your upper molars and have just had one lower molar break through the skin today.  I will be happy once this phase of teething is over because you are such a crabby girl when your teeth are hurting you.

Your strong willed/independent personality is really starting to show and you have mastered the art of throwing a temper tantrum.  I guess we're getting a taste of the "terrible twos" a few months in advance.  We tend to let you throw your tantrum on your own and do our best to ignore it (once we've made sure you're not going to get hurt).  It's usually over after a few minutes and then life is good again.  You also have such a happy, friendly personality and have become quite the social butterfly in the past month.  When we go anywhere, you constantly smile, wave, and say "hi" to everyone you see - especially other kids and women...you get so excited when you see other kids and start squealing and waving frantically.  It is so funny to watch.  However, once you get closer to the person you're waving to and they say hi back to  you, you tend to freeze up and get super shy.



You love to read books and right now your favorites seem to be "All About Baby", "Good Morning Baby", "Good Night Baby", "I Can Fly a Plane", and "24/7 with Jesus"; the last book is one that I have from a previous bible study group and for whatever reason you love to carry it around and flip through the pages.  You love to look at pictures and will often take me to the book shelf and have me pull down various pictures for you to see.  You point at each person and wait for me to say the person's name.



We have started a new weekend tradition that you love just as much as Daddy and I do...our weekend morning cuddle time.  As soon as you wake up in the morning, either Daddy or I bring you into our room and we all snuggle in bed.  It doesn't last long, but you love it!

You are a big helper and often try to help Daddy or me unload the dishwasher, handing us each piece of silverware one by one...saying "tank tu" after you hand off each piece.  You also love to throw things away in the trash (and have learned to keep it in the trash can).

You love to be outside.  We have several push cars that you used to love to ride around in; now that you are so mobile and independent, you would rather push them around yourself.  Daddy and I have to help you with the steering and you often push our hand away and say "no" because you want to do it all by yourself.









You are still long and skinny.  At your 15 month check-up, you weighed 20 lbs 6 oz (25-50%) and were 31.5" long (75-90%).  You are just starting to wear more 18 month clothes (mainly to get enough length).  You are looking less like a baby and so much like a little girl, which makes me sad, but it is also so fun to see a glimpse of what you might look like when you're older.



 

Eating your first corn on the cob - you loved it!

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment