Sunday, May 18, 2014

Spring in Michigan

Spring has been so slow to arrive this year - not surprising given the long, tough winter we had.  The trees are finally getting their leaves and flowers finally starting to bloom.  Windows are opened and it's so nice to air out the house and listen to the river flowing behind us.

Our own backyard paradise

We spent the morning at the nursery picking out new annuals and perennials and I spent most of the afternoon planting flowers.  You woke up from nap a little earlier than normal, so I got you set up with a juice box and your pony fruit snacks for snack and set you up on the front step so that I could keep planting. You did well to keep yourself entertained and helped me dig in the dirt a little bit.  You didn't really care to get your hands dirty though.  I found an earthworm and in the dirt and when I asked you if you wanted to touch it, your answer was, "no, it's too spicy" (not sure where that response came from).
Some of Mama's new flowers - geranium & alyssum 

We think you got your first bee sting (and possibly 3 bee stings).  As I was planting flowers, Daddy noticed you had blood on the back of your neck and what looked like a little bite.  You didn't really react, so we assumed it was a mosquito or something.  A few minutes later, you started crying that your neck hurt and when I looked, you had another bite with blood on the right side of your neck.  About 15 minutes later, you started crying yet again and we discovered that you had a third bite with blood on the left side of your neck.  We soon found a large bumble bee laying on the sidewalk, so we can only assume that it got you all three times.  If that is the case, you handled it awesomely (if that is even a word).  I can't believe how well you handled it - each time crying for a minute (or less) and then going about your business as if nothing happened (except that you are now scared of bugs - calling them all spiders).
Sting #2
Stings #1 (bottom) and #3 (left)
the culprit

1 comment: