About a year ago, Eric joined the Macomb County Sheriff's Department as a volunteer in the Marine division. He went through a long training, was issued a uniform, a badge and had to buy a gun (!). I have always been uncomfortable around guns, but told Eric that I would go with him to the shooting range sometime. We attempted to go once in September for his birthday, but the range was closed for cleaning. So, when I decided to take Valentine's Day off from work and when we realized that Graecyn would also be at daycare, we decided that it would be a good time to try out the shooting range.
Growing up on a farm, I've had the opportunity to shoot guns before…usually small rifles. I've never gone to a shooting range and had never shot a hand gun before…especially a police issued hand gun (one, as Eric described it, is designed to kill). Holy freak me out! Eric spent a lot of time going through all of the gun safety with me - teaching me how to safely load, unload, and hold the gun. I was getting more and more nervous as I listened. Finally, it was time for me to take my first shot…and it scared the ever living crap out of me! I knew it was a powerful gun, but did not expect to be so overwhelmed by it. So overwhelmed that I may (or may not) have started to cry a little! Eric helped me calm down (don't worry, the gun was no where near me at this point) and worked with me on getting a comfortable grip plus understand that while powerful and designed to kill, it is safe (!*?*!).
I did end up shooting a full magazine and started to get a better feel for it, but must say that I have a long way to go if I am ever going to be "comfortable" with this gun (Eric's goal). I am proud of myself for trying it but don't think I will be rushing to the gun range anytime soon.





No comments:
Post a Comment