I recently posted a picture on Instagram (follow me @brookejtaylor) and did my first ever hashtags to a few of the photography groups I follow. This was a big moment for me - this would mean that people other than my close friends and family would see my pictures. I was so nervous and deleted and retyped the hashtags a few times before finally taking a deep breath and hitting submit. And then waited and secretly prayed for someone, a stranger, to "like" my photo…and they did! :-)
Any opportunity I have to do a photo shoot with Graecyn, I do. It's getting harder and harder to do with her because she only "cooperates" for about 3 minutes (if that) and it usually takes a miracle (or Eric making silly faces behind my head) to get a photo of her actually looking at the camera. With it being so cold and snowy outside, I have to get extra creative with our indoor photo shoots and try to think of new backdrop ideas.
A friend of mine, who just so happens to be an AMAZING photographer, recently asked me to share how I make some of my backdrops, so Libba, this post is for you. :-)
For Graecyn's Valentine's pictures, I knew I wanted to have a heart garland. Last year, I made my own garland by cutting various sized hearts out of scrapbook paper and sewing them together with my sewing machine. This year, I added another garland made from paper heart doilies (purchased at Party City), a hole punch, and thick string that I already had on hand. Our house is not the best for taking indoor photos (I don't always have access to the best natural light at times when I know Graecyn will be most cooperative), so I finally settled on using our guest room. I had some "weathered wood" bulletin board paper on hand from a photo shoot I did with Graecyn when she was 10 months (you can find a roll of this paper at Michaels or Amazon for around $8) and decided to use it as my backdrop. I taped it up using painter's tape (so that I wouldn't damage the paint) and let the extra paper roll underneath the white featherbed that I layed out on the floor to hide the carpet (that way I didn't have to cut the paper and can use it again in the future). A few pillows to hide the seam between the featherbed and paper and a heart-shaped sucker to keep my model happy (good timing and luck help too) and you've got yourself a photo.
![]() |
| Before editing - see the blue painter's tape? |
![]() |
| After editing |



First of all, THANKS for the shout out! It simultaneously gave me chills and warmed my heart. Second of all, thank you so much for sharing how you created such an amazing picture (and the sucker trick! I'm going to file that away). You are so very creative and I love when a friend gets hit with the photography bug. Okay, so now, if you're up for it, you should join the Project 52 group on flickr. There's a theme posted each week, and you upload photos to your flickr photostream and share one a week (pertaining to the theme) to their group. Here's a link to the group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/m4h/ So this week's theme is "focus" and you have from Monday til Sunday to take and post a photo. Each week, the moderator, Sarah, picks her favorites and showcases them on her blog (this is also where she posts each week's theme): http://myfourhensphotography.com/photographers/
ReplyDeleteNEVER to late to join!